Battery developed - Sustainable???

News about photovoltaics and solar electricity

Moderator: Mod-Team

Battery developed - Sustainable???

Postby _Asker_ » 10.02.2012, 12:52

hello

...the University of Southampton (UK) and REAPsystems have found in a research, that a new type of battery could improve the efficiency of solar power...

.. Storage costs shall be reduced as well...

student Yue Wu wrote:"the research showed that the lithium battery has an energy efficiency of 95 per cent whereas the lead-acid batteries commonly used today only have around 80 per cent. The weight of the lithium batteries is lower and they have a longer life span than the lead-acid batteries reaching up to 1,600 charge/discharge cycles, meaning they would need to be replaced less frequently."

See this link for more information:
http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-bat ... nergy.html

What do the other users think? A step forward? Can this be sustainable and stand future expectance?

Info about REAPsystems:
http://www.reapsystems.co.uk/

_Asker_
_Asker_
Often here
Often here

- Thread starter -

Info: prospect

Re: Battery developed - Sustainable???

Postby wieso » 12.02.2012, 23:17

Sure ,i will follow the the future (price) developments of lithium based batteries

At the moment i can buy 3-4 times more Lead acid batteries for the same money like LiFePo4......

So that means 3-4 times
the lead-acid batteries reaching up to 1,600 charge/discharge cycles

Regards Lars
wieso
Often here
Often here

Info: operator

Postby DonkeyKong64 » 13.02.2012, 13:59

grüzi

i wonder why not more companies are trying to develop energy storage systems. A storage system that allows self-consumption of - lets say 80% of the produced capacity - would change the pv world market by far. FITs would play a smaller role in the decision. The whole benefit and - therewith - the whole world would benefit. Except some big energy provider that count on nuclear power or cole or some other non-environmental-friendly technologies.

I agree with wieso: I would even pay higher prices for long-time storage possibilities.

Hope something will happen in the next couple of months regarding this subject. We need storage system. urgently. :idea:

sunny regards
DonkeyKong64
Often here
Often here

Postby _Asker_ » 14.02.2012, 12:41

hello

DonkeyKong64 wrote:i wonder why not more companies are trying to develop energy storage systems.

dito
as far as I know Mounting System supplier Schletter is trying to to some developement in this regard... Has anyone further information?

Paying higher prices is not the (only) sólution... Sure,... technology costs money, but even technology leaders need to have competitive prices.... I would pay a BIT more for better technology, but higher prices have to be justified.

_Asker_
_Asker_
Often here
Often here

- Thread starter -

Postby valentino » 17.02.2012, 14:00

_Asker_ wrote:as far as I know Mounting System supplier Schletter is trying to to some developement in this regard... Has anyone further information?

Hello _Asker_

I can confirm that. During the Forumstreffen 2011 of the photovoltaicforum.com we have been visiting Schletter. The responsible spokesman Mr. Urban and CEO Mr. Schletter explained that Schletter is working hand-in-hand with an private developer of a battery system. There also has been an official press release from Schletter, but I couldn't find it any more.

This news is from September 2011, unfortunately I have no later news.

regards valentino
valentino
Support

Postby _Asker_ » 20.02.2012, 09:40

hello valentino

:danke: for this information. Let's hope they come along with a practical solution soon. The sooner energy storage is possible at an efficient price, the renewables will become intresting for a bunch of new investors.

_Asker_
_Asker_
Often here
Often here

- Thread starter -

Postby wieso » 20.02.2012, 12:03

In my opinion , battery storage is available since decades and the "new batteries" do not seem to get much cheaper and much better :juggle:

people seem to always try to calculate them in relation to the electricity price , but they are basically a separate product

So wake me up , when electricity costs more then 30 cents per unit :danke:
wieso
Often here
Often here

Postby valentino » 20.02.2012, 15:07

Hey,

wieso wrote:In my opinion , battery storage is available since decades and the "new batteries" do not seem to get much cheaper and much better :juggle:

that's where innovation has to start. In the end, success of batteries will come with cost-effektiveness. If storage is payable, people will accept it. If not, not.

regards valentino
valentino
Support

Postby wieso » 21.02.2012, 07:18

I reckon it is about 5-6 cents , that a good and available battery costs for each delivered Kwh , before the capacity declines according to datasheets/warranty of the manufacturer ....

Best Regards

Lars
wieso
Often here
Often here

Postby DonkeyKong64 » 21.02.2012, 10:03

grüzi

batteries (energy storage) is the way to future success in this branch - at least in my opinion. So I agree with those who say, that storage costs need to be minimized to find peoples acceptance.

wieso wrote:I reckon it is about 5-6 cents

I absolutely don't know how much battery costs are for an average kwh or how much seems to be ok or what price should be achieved. 5-6 cents still seem pretty high to me.

Any (further) suggestions?

sunny regards
DonkeyKong64
Often here
Often here

Next

Return to PV-News

Similar Posts

All carbon cell developed at MIT    Forum: PV-News    Replies: 0